NBC’s Jesus Christ Superstar Dominates Easter Sunday TV Viewing
Jesus Christ Superstar Live in Concert aired last night, April 1, on NBC. The live broadcast starred Oscar, Golden Globe, Tony and 10-time Grammy Award winner John Legend has been cast as Jesus Christ, rock legend Alice Cooper as the flamboyant King Herod and acclaimed recording artist, songwriter and Broadway star Sara Bareilles as Mary Magdalene. The cast also featured Norm Lewis as Caiaphas, Jin Ha as Annas, and Jason Tam as Peter.
This NBC event was a one-of-a kind live staging of the iconic 1971 Broadway rock opera with music by Andrew Lloyd Webber and lyrics by Tim Rice. The event was executive produced by Andrew Lloyd Webber, Tim Rice, Marc Platt, Craig Zadan and Neil Meron.
“Jesus Christ Superstar Live in Concert” (1.7 rating in 18-49, 9.4 million viewers overall from 8-10:23 p.m. ET):
· Leads NBC to the nightlong win in adults 18-49 and total viewers among the Big 4 networks.
· Is the #1 show of the night on the Big 4 networks in 18-49 and total viewers.
· Beats “American Idol” head to head from 8-10 p.m. in 18-49 (1.7 vs. 1.6) and total viewers (9.8 million vs. 7.4 million from 8-10 p.m.).
· While garnering critical acclaim, the special leads NBC to its most-watched Easter Sunday in 12 years (with a 7-11 p.m. average of 7.434 million viewers, best for an NBC Easter since April 16, 2006, 9.8 million).
· Tops the most recent major live musical event on the broadcast networks, Fox’s “A Christmas Story Live,” (1.5 in 18-49, 4.5 million viewer from 7-10 p.m. on Sunday, Dec. 17, 2017), as well as the comparable partially live Easter-season event on Fox two years ago, “The Passion,” (1.6 in 18-49, 6.6 million viewers overall from 8-10 p.m. on Sunday, March 20, 2016).
· Jumps +70% versus NBC’s Sunday 8-10:15 p.m. average last season excluding sports and Golden Globes in 18-49 (1.7 vs. 1.0) and +3.9 million persons or +71% in total viewers (9.360 million vs. 5.468 million).
· Delivers NBC’s top result in the timeslot excluding sports and Golden Globes in in two years in 18-49 (since March 20, 2016, 1.7) and total viewers (since March 13, 2016, 9.457 million).
· NBC’s most recent live musical, “Hairspray Live!” earned a 2.3 rating in 18-49 and 9.045 million viewers overall from 8-10:54 p.m. ET on Wednesday, Dec. 7, 2016.
Source: Broadway World.
Watch Sara Bareilles Perform “I Don’t Know How To Love Him” From NBC’s Jesus Christ Superstar Live
Sara Bareilles takes the stage for a soulful rendition of “I Don’t Know How to Love Him” in Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Jesus Christ Superstar. Video courtesy of NBC.
Watch John Legend’s Performance of “Gethsemane” Form NBC’s Jesus Christ Superstar Live
There is no bigger number in Jesus Christ Superstar than the passionate performance of the song “Gethsemane (I Only Wanted to Say). For many fans of the musical, this is the standard by which the person portraying the role of “Jesus” is often critiqued. In the song, Jesus comes to terms with the reality of what awaits him. What did you think of John Legend’s take on the song? Watch the performance below video courtesy of NBC.
Watch John Legend Perform “What’s The Buzz” From NBC’s Jesus Christ Superstar Live
NBC’s Jesus Christ Superstar Live In Concert was a high-energy presentation with a fantastic cast. Watch as John Legend who was in the title role of “Jesus” perform the popular number “What’s The Buzz” from the Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webber musical in the video below courtesy of NBC!
Get Ready For NBC’s Jesus Christ Superstar Live In Concert With The Cast of Broadway’s School of Rock
Jesus Christ Superstar Live In Concert airs Easter Sunday on NBC and the kids of Broadway’s “School of Rock” are celebrating with a new music video featuring the song “Heaven on their minds” from the musical.
The video first appeared on Broadwayworld.com
Watch The New Promo For NBC’s Jesus Christ Superstar Live Broadcast
— Jesus Christ Superstar (@JCSTheMusical) March 13, 2018
NBC has released a new promo for its live broadcast of the musical “Jesus Christ Superstar airing Easter Sunday. The event will feature rock legend Alice Cooper, Sara Bareilles and John Legend.
Watch NBC’s New Super Bowl Promo For Jesus Christ Superstar
We’re getting excited because NBC released a new promo for it’s upcoming live presentation of Jesus Christ Superstar in Concert. The Super Bowl ad promotes the broadcast which will air on Easter Sunday. Watch the promo below.
NBC Releases Teaser For Jesus Christ Superstar
NBC has released its first teaser for the network’s upcoming live broadcast of Jesus Christ Superstar. The broadcast airs this Easter and features John Legend, Sara Bareilles, and Alice Cooper.
— JesusChristSuperstar (@JCSTheMusical) January 8, 2018
NBC’s Jesus Christ Superstar Live Casts Sara Bareilles as Mary Magdalene
Tony and Grammy nominee Sara Bareilles has been cast as the Mary Magdalene to John Legend’s title character in NBC’s Jesus Christ Superstar Live in Concert, to air on Easter Sunday, April 1.
NBC’s take on the iconic rock opera will be performed in front of a live audience at the Marcy Armory in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, N.Y. Previously announced casting includes rock icon Alice Cooper as King Herod.
“To say I’m excited about this performance is the understatement of the century,” Bareilles said in a statement. “This score and this musical have been a part of me from a very young age and it will be one of the great thrills of my life to sing these iconic songs. It’s incredible to see the beloved medium of musical theatre being embraced by television audiences, and this cast and creative team is extraordinary. I feel extremely lucky to be a part of the project!”
“We’re overjoyed to have Sara Bareilles play Mary Magdalene and I can guarantee that her interpretation of the standard ‘I Don’t Know How to Love Him’ will become an instant classic,” said NBC Entertainment chairman Robert Greenblatt. “I was lucky enough to see Sara in Waitress and she gave as moving and as beautifully sung a performance as I’ve seen on a Broadway stage in a long time.”